Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Introducing Queen Ann

My grandma aka "Queen Ann" aka Anna May Taylor (Yancy)
1928-2007

My maternal grandmother, Anna May, or Queen Ann as we called her was born in Narragansett, Washington, Rhode Island. She was a member of the Narragansett Indian Tribe. She joined the army where she met and married my grandfather Herbert Yancy. They would relocate to California and stay til death did them part. She loved Rhode Island and told me all kinds of stories about her family and upbringing. What I remember most because it was the most shocking were the tales of incest in her family tree. One of the reasons she wanted to leave Rhode Island in the first place was that as she put it, she was related to everyone back home. She recalled twice having a crush on a boy only to find out he was a cousin.

According to Webster- Merriam Dictionary, a queen is :
a : a woman eminent in rank, power, or attractions
b : a goddess or a thing personified as female and having supremacy in a specified realm : an attractive girl or woman; especially : a beauty contest winner

My grandma was all of the above! Any and everything related to being female or feminine was her thing. Clothes, Jewelry(especially jewelry), Hair, Shoes, nails, shopping you name it! She liked nice things. This along with the grace in which she carried herself are why we called her Queen Ann. 

While her maternal genealogy is already done to way back when and assembled in a big red book called "The Genealogical Report of The Grand Royal Family", I did not know much information on her fathers line. Thanks to ancestry.com member connect, I have found or been found by a few distant relatives working on the same tree.  I have learned and continue to learn much about my granny's family- my family.

This blog will be dedicated to sharing interesting things regarding her family history that were passed down via the Big Red Book as I like to call it,  things I have found own my own along the way, and other things I wonder about or find interesting while researching her family history. Lots of entertaining stuff to share eventually... well I at least think so! lol
Stay tuned...until next time...Rachel..

No comments:

Post a Comment